Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Bird ID Classes

So I've been having a think on ways of earning some extra cash while I'm at Uni, and I thought what better way to do it than doing something I already do! It seems most time I go down Upton Warren in the week I end up in the hide telling people the difference between a Common/Green Sandpiper or a Tufted Duck/Pochard to people who are just starting out new to birdwatching. Now most birders I know find this annoying, but I find it quite rewarding, and most times I get a comment on how clever I am for my age! So this got me thinking, why don't I run a Beginner Bird ID Guided Walks! Something along the lines of meeting a group at a local Nature Reserve and walking round with them and helping them with their bird IDs all for a small fee that would help with my Uni fees.


So the whole point of this post isn't so you can all rob my idea! But so that I can get some feedback on what people think to me possibly doing this. At the moment I will probably do them in York when at Uni and around Birmingham when at home, I know most people who read this blog are already experienced enough with bird identification to not need to be interested in something like this but if anyone has any experience of doing something like this or any useful information/websites they could point me towards that would be great.

1 comment:

  1. It does sound like a good idea. However I doubt it would be hugely popular for 2 reasons:
    1. If you don't know many local birders yet how are you going to spread the word to your target audience?
    2. Quite a lot of people wouldn't like the idea of young birders telling them things, I have experienced this myself.

    However I still think you should try it because if you don't you will never know. :)

    Hope it goes well and do let me know how your getting on.

    ReplyDelete