Sunday, November 04, 2012

Goldeneye Ageing

A Goldeneye turned up on the patch 2 days ago.

I'd guessed it may be a 1cy male due to the dull bill and bright eye and managed to prove it today by taking this photo

The combination of the greater covert bar being broken with not very prominent tips and a small amount of pale grey on the forewing age it as a 1cy male. 1cy females would should a more prominent covert bar with a grey-brown forewing.

The Scaup have cleared off.

When I got my camera it was intended exactly for that sort of stuff and recording stuff I find/see. I always said that I wouldn't use it for 'photography' ie taking a photo of a House Sparrow cause its posing nicely! However for Common Gulls I make an exception (plus I can learn about their ageing at the same time!)

Quite like the idea of collages so made one for Common Gulls from Hes East today.


Also went to North Duffield and saw 2 Marsh Harriers, 20 Whoopers (no Bewick's) 17+ Ruff and 700+ Fieldfare, pretty cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment